Most parents would agree that getting their baby to sleep through the night is one of the biggest challenges they face. On top of that, there are so many things to worry about – from SIDS to colic – that it’s hard to know where to start. Here are five tips for creating a safe and healthy sleep environment for your baby!
- Place your baby on their back. When it comes to baby sleep safety, one of the most important things parents can do is ensure that their child sleeps on their back. This reduces the risk of SIDS, or sudden infant death syndrome.
- Remove foreign objects from the crib. Remove soft blankets, pillows and toys from the crib that could potentially obstruct your baby’s breathing. It’s also important to make sure that your baby’s crib is in a safe location, without any cords or objects that could pose a strangulation hazard.
- Choose a firm mattress. Make sure that your baby’s mattress is firm and fits snugly in the crib.
- Do not share a bed with your baby. Instead, place a bassinet near your bed so you can share a room, but not risk rolling on and suffocating your child or pushing your baby off the bed.
- Talk to your doctor. If you have any concerns about sleep safety or your child’s sleeping habits, talk to your doctor!
As the parent, you know your child better than anyone. You know what toys they love, what sound machine noise they like to fall asleep to and when they are getting sleepy. If you pay attention to what your baby needs, plus follow the above sleep safety tips, you can create a happy and safe sleeping environment for your child.
If you have any questions, contact our team at New Beginnings Pediatrics.